What exactly is a bad bitch, you ask? In my opinion, it’s a badass woman who’s smart, knows what she wants, and doesn’t take crap from people, yet somehow retains her femininity and looks damn good in the process. Urban Dictionary agrees.
I’ve noticed that in the media we’re often given very narrow views of what it means to be a woman, particularly in a work environment. You can be the cold, mean boss, who probably has no kids and has divorced at least twice (Miranda Priestly, anyone?) You can also be the super girly office minx who uses her femininity and sexuality to get ahead. How many times do we see articles telling us, as women, to dress without frills at work in order to be taken seriously. Wear some makeup, after all you don’t want to look like a troll, but be careful not to wear too much in case you come off as shallow and narcissistic. You can be hot, or you can be smart, but you absolutely can not be both.
How is that fair?
I don’t know about everyone else, but I’d love to see more powerful women portrayed as beautiful, feminine, and, well, powerful. I want to see women who are what men (and other women) would consider hot, who give no shits about being hot in the eyes of men, and who care more about their career than meeting Prince Charming. I want to see them in Louboutins, with winged eyeliner and red lips, goddamnit.
This post is an ode to all the bad bitches out there who rock their nice shoes while letting their work and brains do the talking. Here’s how to be a bad bitch:
- Bad bitches go for their goals without a doubt in their mind that they’ll succeed. That doesn’t mean tell yourself that you’re going to magically get rich by doing no work. It means that when you have a goal, do everything in your power to achieve it. Let nothing stand in your way.
- They take care of themselves physically and emotionally. It’s not very badass to run yourself ragged and then have a meltdown.
- They forget to care what people think of them. Rude people are probably jealous that you have drive – most people don’t even know what the hell they want out of life.
- Bad bitches are never be afraid to stand for something they believe in, even if it means some people may like them a little (or a lot) less.
- They conduct themselves professionally and gracefully. It’s not cute to try to sleep your way to the top, nor is it cute to throw temper tantrums and yell at people.
- Bad bitches relish the times they stand out in a crowd of average people. Never settle for being ordinary.
- Bad bitches dress to impress, but do it for themselves. You love your clothes, and you probably pay out the ass for them. Enjoy them, and rock them.
- They wear the damn lipstick if they want to. Just do it. It’s ballsy and it’s cute.
- Bad bitches embrace their beauty, embrace their brains, embrace their talent, and use them to their advantage. Realize that while there may be a narrow description of what it means to be a woman, you’re above it. It’s possible to have the best of both worlds, you just have to figure out how.
But really, the #1 way to be a bad bitch is to be confident in yourself and your abilities, and understand that whether you’re the most beautiful woman in the world, or the ugliest, the best dressed, or the worst, that shit just shouldn’t matter. Stack your bracelets high, or wear Birkenstocks. At the end of the day, being a bad bitch is about being yourself and being fabulous how you are, no matter what anyone else thinks or says.